Monday, March 5, 2012

Mountain Bike Now and Then

When I started out I did not consider mountain biking as a sport that will be a part of my life until now. Since I used to ride a bmx it was a hobby that I know that will not last. Also I'm not use to seeing a mountain bike, back then they looked ridiculous especially when your looking at those big wheels.

My impression on these new bikes is that they were heavy. Actually they are, although aluminum alloy did replaced steel on most bikes back then, it was the heavier type of alloy that was very popular. Maybe the lighter kind of aluminum has not been used yet on a mountain bike.

Most of the designs were not that pleasing to the eye compare to the present ones. It was like putting fat tires on a road bike "really awful". Also the suspensions being used is not that refined during that time most of them tend to sag and has no lockout making it difficult to ride on flat surfaces.

I stopped using my bike when I started college and started riding again 10 years later which is in fact a good thing for me primarily because of my age, I really need the exercise. And I noticed that I still posses that adventurous spirit. Another thing that I noticed is that I accepted the fact that I am ready to ride a mountain bike. I was actually glad to make that decision. But why a mountain bike? Why not a road bike instead? you may ask.

Although I do admire the classic beauty and design of a road bike with all its technical advancement involve in producing one, still its capabilities are very limited. Since I am considering riding again it should be like a bigger version of a bmx bike.

Something that will not limit my adventures to mere asphalt road alone but will take me further inland absorbing the punishments of mountain trails and will not be a burden for me with regards to maintenance which a road bike can never be.

The ten years of absence from riding has a lot of advantages also now companies who are experimenting on mountain bikes back then have greatly matured with specific focus on design, materials and suspension. Merging those qualities bike makers today have made state of the art machines that were a dream a few years ago.

Never has a manufacturer been so focused on, has spent countless hours of  testing and fine tuning being done on today mountain bikes. With the results speaking for themselves never has the mountain bike gone farther and faster it its development.

Today majority of mountain bikes and even their parts are made from space age carbon fiber and research is still on going to get the lightest and strongest material to produce these machines. The only thing that has not change as of yet is the price and hopefully its effect will soon follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment